We are looking for an ambitious and highly capable civil engineer to join our exciting and fast-paced design team at Bryden Wood, an award winning multi-disciplinary design practice which pioneers innovation of the construction industry.
As a civil engineer your responsibilities will include designing and modelling civil systems (including drainage, utilities, pavements, roads, groundworks and flood risk) collaboratively with the multiple disciplines at Bryden Wood.
You will be based in Barcelona but will work under the guidance of our civil engineering team whose members work remotely between our London and Barcelona offices.
Essential technical skills:
The appropriate candidate will have a strong civil engineering background, enthusiasm for both design and modelling, and an interest in emerging technologies including BIM.
- Good technical understanding of civil systems such that designs can be produced autonomously for simple projects and under supervision for complex projects.
- Can successfully lead engagements with stakeholders including local councils, Building Control, the Environment Agency and utility providers.
- Experience with approval processes including S104 sewer adoption and S278 works in the public highway.
- Proficiency using design software such as Civil 3D including hydraulic and flooding calculations and AutoCAD.
- Knowledge of BIM and Revit beneficial but not necessary, a willingness to learn is essential.
- Good knowledge of UK design codes and standards including Eurocodes, British Standards and Building Regulations.
- Enthusiasm to innovate the construction industry to improve sustainability, health and safety, and productivity.
Essential general skills:
- Highly effective and efficient problem-solver that takes an organised and systemised approach to design problems.
- Genuine enthusiasm for engineering design and willingness to work within a challenging design environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work with all levels of employees and management internal and external to the company.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment or independently with self-managed projects.
- Excellent English spoken and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs (Outlook, Word and Excel).
- Eligibility to work in the UK.
Experience and educational background:
- Demonstrable and/or extenstive experience working in either a design office or directly within the construction industry with exposure to a variety of project sizes, stages and industries.
- A relevant Civil Engineering degree from a recognised institute, Master’s desired but not essential.
Our company ethos and culture:
Our company is a close team with people from all backgrounds drawing a diverse set of skills together into one fully integrated design approach. Our consultancy incorporates engineering, architecture, operations consultants, software programmers, mathematical modelers, robotics and more.
Our company benefits include:
- Paid professional membership
- ICE accredited Training and Development Scheme and dedicated mentor for chartership aspirations
- Private Healthcare scheme funded by Bryden Wood (tax is payable)
- Contract based on a 37.5 hour week.
- Industry competitive salary
- Regular performance reviews to help with your career progression
- 25 days annual leave
- Pension scheme (matched contribution up to 5%)
No recruiters or agencies please.